2020 Nourish Awards
Timeline Nourish 2020
Entry phase: 15th January – 31st March
Judging: June – July
Shortlist announced: 30th June
Public Vote for People’s Choice Award: July – August
Nourish Awards Gala: 18th September
Nourish Awards has a “blind – judging” process. This means, that all products will be removed from their retail packaging and prepared or presented for the judges without revealing the brand or company name. This removes any bias and gives businesses of all sizes the same chance of winning, based purely on the sample and the information given.
Judges will also receive the following information for each product: full list of ingredients, full nutritional information, additional information for special awards about organic, ethical and product innovation. Judges will also be told how the product was prepared and what ingredients added if relevant (eg. cake mixes).
Our judging panel includes expert nutritionists and nutritional therapists, chefs, free-from and food industry experts.
Eligibility Criteria – criteria differ between categories, so please check the category requirements too.
- All products must be free-from gluten, dairy, refined sugar and artificial additives and sweeteners. There are some exceptions to this, please see individual category rules. There is a dedicated category for Dairy products (milk, cheese, ghee etc.)
- All products in the “Wild Card” category may contain any ingredient.
- Products must be fully developed and in production. Products that are in the final stages of development may enter only into the “In the pipeline” Category.
- All products entered must be on sale (at retailers or online) and available for purchase by the public in the United Kingdom by the 30th June.
- Products that are not yet on sale in the UK may enter (or will be moved) into the “In the pipeline” Category.
- Products that are only available locally or made fresh; or to order and created by small artisan producers may enter in the “Small Producers / Freshly made” Category only. Any product that cannot provide full nutritional information may also enter (or will be moved) to this category.
- Products entered into the wrong category or do not satisfy the eligibility criteria for their category may be moved to a different category by the organisers or the judges.
- Each entry is for a single specific product and flavour, not for product lines and product ranges.
- Companies may enter as many products as they like to each category.
- Each product can enter into up to 3 categories.
- Products previously entered into the awards can re-enter again.
- Companies are responsible for sending the correct sample to the correct address (given by at least 3 weeks before judging begins). No refund will be given to products that do not arrive on time, or the wrong product was sent.
- All entry fees must be received by the organisers by the 5th April .
- Products will be prepared according to the instruction on the retail packaging.
- It is the responsibility of entrants to ensure that all samples sent are safe to consume and sent in chilled delivery (where required). The organisers reserve the right to discard any sample deemed to be unsafe to consume on arrival.
- We cannot accept products that require specialist equipment to prepare such as pizza oven, dehydrator, coffee machine, BBQ etc. Permitted equipment are a conventional oven, microwave oven, blender, gas or electric hob and a kettle. Chilled and frozen items are permitted
If you have any question, require help with the categories or any assistance please get in touch with Wendy or Diana on 01666 817318 or email team @ nourishawards.org
Sugars and sweeteners that are permitted in all categories
please note, that is not only the type of sugar that matters, but the overall sugar content too.
- raw cane sugar, unrefined cane sugar, mascovado sugar
- maple syrup, maple sugar
- dates, date sugar, date syrup
- dried fruit, fruit pure
- evaporated cane juice
- coconut sugar, coconut syrup
- pomegranate molasses
- monk fruit
- brown rice syrup
- yacon syrup
- agave syrup
Sugars and sweeteners that are not permitted (may enter into the “Wild Card” category or in those categories where “refined sugar” is permitted, please see each category for specification.)
- white or brown refined sugar (small amounts permitted in exempt categories)
- high fructose corn syrup
- any other refined sugars and artificial sweeteners.
If the sweetener or sugar you are using is not on any of the lists please do get in touch on team@ nourishawards.org