Terms of Entry – 2021 Nourish Awards
Timeline Nourish 2021
Entry phase: 29th January – 29th April, 2021
Judging: June | Shortlist announced: 30th June
Public Vote for People’s Choice Award: July – August
Nourish Awards Gala: 24th September (Virtual Event)
Entry Fee: £95 / product
2021 Categories & Entry Guide
Naturally free-from, low sugar & salt, clean ingredients & good nutrition
In 2021, there are 20 categories and 6 children award categories. You can enter each product into maximum 3 categories. Our judges usually award ‘Merit’ (3rd place), ‘Commended’ (2nd place) and ‘Winner’ (Category winner) in each category. This might be several Merit & Commended and one best in category winner but sometimes we have joint winners or one award might not be given at all in a category.
All products are automatically entered into the Special Awards (Best Organic, Best Ethical and Innovation Award), you can now also enter the Nourish Children Awards in 6 categories.
People’s Choice Award goes to products that receive the highest number of public vote (this is separate from the professional judging and results are NOT combined).
The Nourish Awards has been dubbed as the UK’s toughest health food awards. We are looking for products that provide a healthy or healthier alternative than similar products on the market.
We are looking for good nutrition, clean ingredient list, low or lower in sugar and salt; free-from refined sugars or contain very small amounts; products that contain no artificial additives, sweeteners, preservatives and flavourings and processing is kept to the minimum.
Free-from: we are looking for products that are naturally free from gluten however, oats are permitted. Dairy is now permitted in most categories so we would love to see some good quality milk chocolate, cheese, ghee and similar products. Please check GF – DF (gluten and dairy free) restriction in each category.
Sugar: we lifting the restriction on products being “refined sugar free” simply because there are an increasing number of products that are very low in sugar (refined) therefore provide a healthier option and at the same time there are many products that are free from refined sugar but contain a very high amount of natural sugar so we felt we need to recognise this and trust our expert judges in finding the best and healthiest options.
Nourish Awards Categories
- Tea, Coffee & Hot Drinks
- Health Drinks & Shots
- Snacks & Food to go
- High Protein & Sports nutrition
- Bread, pizza, sweet & savoury bakes & baking mixes (GF, oats permitted)
- Breakfast foods & drinks
- Soups, convenience & ready meals (GF, oats permitted)
- Dairy & Dairy Alternatives
- Supplements (GF & DF)
- Free-from all 14 allergens
- Made with CBD
- Chocolate, confectionery & Desserts
- Raw, Sprouted & Superfoods
- Gut Friendly & Fermented (GF)
- Cupboard essentials
- Low Sugar & sugar free
- Purely Plants (vegan) (DF)
- Low Carb & Keto
- Wild Card
- Pet Food
Nourish Children Awards
We are looking for healthier alternatives for children. Product don’t necessarily need to be marketed for children but the aim of the awards are to help parents find healthier alternatives.
ALL finalist will receive the Nourish Children awards logo to place on their product (no hearts). Winners will receive 1, 2 or 3 hearts on the logo – 3 hearts being the best.
- Suitable & easy enough for children to make (with parental help)
- Suitable for lunchboxes
- Suitable for school bakes & fairs (e.g. nut free)
- Suitable for sharing & kids parties
- Good source of vitamins & minerals
- Good source of healthy fats & protein
- Contain hidden veg
- Contain good bacteria
- Low sugar & low salt (or significantly lower than alternatives)
- Natural ingredients
- No artificial sweeteners, colours & flavours
- Baby & Toddler Food
- Cupboard essentials
Entry Terms & Rules
Judges score each product, provide feedback, rank entrants according to their preference and choose the winners. The final results are a combination of these results.
Our judging panel includes expert nutritionists and nutritional therapists, chefs, free-from and food industry experts. Meet the judges
- Products must be naturally gluten free, however oats are permitted. Please note, that this is not a free-from award or allergy award, this restriction is in place because we don’t believe that refined glutenous grains are good for anyone however, if you have a small amount in your product or your product is not certified gluten free it’s fine. If you are in any doubt please get in touch email@example.com Please ensure you declare any allergen on your PIF as some of our judges and Nourish founder Diana are coeliac.
- Dairy is now permitted in most categories however, we expect to see it used only where necessary – eg. milk chocolate, cheese, ghee
- Products must be fully developed and in production.
- All products entered must be on sale (at retailers or online) and available for purchase by the public in the United Kingdom by the 30th June 2021
- We reserve the right to move products into another category; split categories or combine them after entries have closed.
- Each entry is for a single specific product and flavour, not for product lines and product ranges.
- Companies may enter as many products as they like to each category.
- Each product can enter into up to 3 categories.
- Products previously entered into the awards can re-enter again.
- Entrants are responsible for sending the correct sample to the correct address (TBA)
- Entrants are responsible to send the correct quantity of samples for our judges to try.
- No refund will be given to products that do not arrive on time; where incorrect product was sent or where sufficient samples are not provided. These products will not be judged.
- All entry fees must be received by the organisers by the 30th April, 2021.
- Products will be prepared according to the instruction on the retail packaging.
- It is the responsibility of entrants to ensure that all samples sent are safe to consume and sent in chilled delivery (where required). The organisers reserve the right to discard any sample deemed to be unsafe to consume on arrival.
- We cannot accept products that require specialist equipment to prepare such as pizza oven, dehydrator, coffee machine, BBQ etc. Permitted equipment are a conventional oven, microwave oven, blender, gas or electric hob and a kettle. Chilled and frozen items are permitted
If you have any question, require help with the categories or any assistance please get in touch with Diana on 01666 817318 or email team @ nourishawards.org
Sugars and sweeteners that are permitted in all categories
Please note, that is not only the type of sugar that matters, but the overall sugar content too.
- raw cane sugar, unrefined cane sugar, muscovado sugar
- maple syrup, maple sugar
- dates, date sugar, date syrup
- dried fruit, fruit pure
- evaporated cane juice
- coconut sugar, coconut syrup
- pomegranate molasses
- monk fruit
- brown rice syrup
- yacon syrup
- agave syrup
Sugars and sweeteners that are not permitted (may enter into the “Wild Card” category or in those categories where “refined sugar” is permitted, please see each category for specification.)
- white or brown refined sugar (small amounts permitted in exempt categories)
- high fructose corn syrup
- any other refined sugars and artificial sweeteners.
If the sweetener or sugar you are using is not on any of the lists please do get in touch via email to team@ nourishawards.org